Sunday, September 5, 2010

Prelude to Eucharist Miracles; Was it just my Imagination?

 

Today I will tell an anecdotal story of something that happened to me personally before I get to the legitimately investigated miracles surrounding the Eucharist. Actual scientifically verified Eucharistic miracles will come in a another post as I compile the stories. There are quite a few so I have to pick through the most compelling. 

So on to my own personal account for which there is no verifiable proof and it certainly doesn't merit an investigation. I share it so that maybe someone else who experienced something similar can relate.

Many years ago when I was studying to become a fully confirmed Catholic, my husband and I went to Eucharistic adoration at our church. My husband was fully brought up in the Church so I followed his lead to what would be my first time going to adoration. It was at night and we went into the chapel where it was exposed in a monstrance as is customary. There were several other people there quietly praying.

I sat down and looked up at the monstrance holding the host and attempted to quietly pray. It was then that I started to notice something. I saw this image of Jesus with a crown of thorns on His head much like my rendition above. I kept looking and wondering to myself if I was imagining it or if there was an actual image etched on to the glass. I didn't want to draw attention to myself so I looked down as if I was praying. But in reality I was too distracted to pray. I looked back up and it was there again. I cocked my head to the side trying to make out the glass and see if it was etched on there but the glass was smooth and I didn't see the image at different angles. When I looked head on it was there. If other people weren't there I would have went up to it to get a closer look. However, like I said, I didn't want to draw attention to myself and seem irreverent.  I attempted to go back to praying but I continued to be distracted by the image.

When we left I asked my husband about it. I asked if he noticed an image of Jesus wearing a crown of thorns. He said he didn't see anything like that. He explained to me that strange thing do happen surrounding the Eucharist and that it is very powerful. He said "After all, it is Jesus."

I remained in some sort of disbelief of what I saw. Not that I didn't believe my husband. I just wasn't sure I believed my own eyes.

Below is a video that someone took of the famous Bleeding Host of Betania, Venezuela and was taken in 1998. This famous host is a verified Eucharistic miracle and in fact Betania is a hotbed of miraculous activity that has so many that it will require it's own blog post or two. For now I leave with the video below of someone else' personal experience. You can learn more about it here

The story behind the video does shed some light on what I personally experienced. This gentleman noticed something happening in the monstrance and took video of it. He was the only person that saw the activity while the group he was with didn't see it. Their cameras didn't pick anything  up either. However, his camera did.

No comments: