Friday, November 5, 2010

Rosary Meditations: Friday's Sorrowful Mystery- The Agony in the Garden

From Luke Chapter 22


After withdrawing about a stone's throw from them and kneeling, he prayed, saying, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me; still, not my will but yours be done."

    14 (And to strengthen him an angel from heaven appeared to him. He was in such agony and he prayed so fervently that his sweat became like drops of blood falling on the ground.)

When he rose from prayer and returned to his disciples, he found them sleeping from grief.

 He said to them, "Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray that you may not undergo the test."






Personal Reflections.
Jesus knew His destiny. The hour had come. He knew His fate. Crucifixion was the most horrific way to die. The Romans would carry crosses and show them to the Jews as a threat. It would immediately get any dissenters in line because no one wanted to face the cross. Jesus, on the other hand knew exactly what He was facing. But because He loves us so much, He humbled Himself for our sake, so we could have everlasting life. 

I attempt to imagine what He was experiencing but instead, I shudder. I am a weak and wretched creature. When I'm upset and scared about the outcome of something, it is my small agony in the garden and I offer it up to Him. Imagine having those closest to you suddenly abandon you when you need them most. I feel despair at the thought of what Jesus went through for our sake. My small mind can't comprehend how we are worth so much to Him. I am so grateful even if I am unworthy. I wish I would never sin again but sadly I do. It makes His agony that much harder for me to bear. I feel somewhat like what Peter must have felt like when he denied Him three times. 

Yet, He still gave Peter the keys to the kingdom and let him run His Church. That's how great our God is. He takes our failings, redeems us and helps us participate in His glory. 

Personal Prayer
Lord, I am so weak and have fallen a sleep at the garden. Help increase my courage and loyalty so I may accompany you in whatever you ask of me. And when I'm in my own agony give me the graces to endure and carry through.



3 comments:

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Beautiful reflection. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Lovely reflection!

I'm with you in not being able to get my mind around how much He loves us. We are of the dust and yet He wants to exult us. Becoming one of us, He has elevated us above the rest of His creation. Imagine making us in His image. That's putting eternity into our souls and making eternity possible for flesh and blood creatures. He will look for His image in us on the Last Day. I'm praying with you that in life's trials the grace to carry through be the perfection He is looking for me. His grace is sufficient.

Unknown said...

Thank you both. I will be doing more of these so stay tuned.:-)